Language Assistants


Bringing language and culture alive in your school.


Language Assistants work in UK primary and secondary schools, including sixth form and further education colleges. By bringing up to date knowledge of the language and culture of their native lands, British Council Language Assistants inspire teachers and students alike to achieve success in language learning. Hosting a Language Assistant will broaden pupils’ horizons, improve their language skills and increase their cultural awareness.



To find out more about how a Language Assistant would benefit your school and how to apply sign up for one of our webinars or face-to-face presentations. 


New funding opportunities to host Chinese Language Assistants.


Apply now to host a Chinese Language Assistant at a significantly subsidised rate.


How do I apply for a Language Assistant?


Schools and local authorities should follow these two easy steps:

Apply by 29 May for your Language Assistant for 2015-16. 



Visit the Language Assistants website for further information or email us at
Local Authorities 

If you are a local authority school please consult the list of UK local authority contacts below before getting in touch with the British Council. If your school has a Local Authority Co-ordinator included in the list you should contact him or her directly. The local authority will submit an application on your behalf.


If your school does not have a Co-ordinator you must apply directly to the British Council. Non-local authority schools (including all academies) should also apply directly. List of UK local authority contacts. (23 KB)