Introductory core skills
There are two introductory training packages – one for teachers and one for school leaders – and they are both free-of-charge. These are available online and you can learn at your own pace but we recommend 2 weeks of online study (4-5 hours per week) and 4 weeks of school-based activity.
Introduces you to the six core skills students need in order to face the challenges of today’s globally connected world. You will learn practical teaching approaches and techniques to help you implement the core skills in the classroom and make them part of the school curriculum. Structured school-based activities set out in the training package will allow you to put learning into practice and reflect on outcomes.
You will learn how to:
- use effective questions to help students make connections in their learning experience
- tailor classroom communication to promote learning
- plan group work and online discussions
- choose appropriate talking points and stimulus
- identify leaders and learners.
Introduces you to the six core skills and offers tools to help you analyse your school’s core skills provision. You will develop approaches and techniques to help you assess and monitor how effectively this area of learning is supported within the curriculum.
You will learn:
- what core skills are and how they apply to real life
- why they are essential for students
- how they can be mapped to different areas of the curriculum
- ways of assessing and monitoring how well they are being taught and supported in your school
- how to develop strategies to improve core skills provision.